A. Use IN with months, years, seasons, and parts of the day.
We started work in April.
2. She was born in 1960.
3. I always take a vacation in the summer.
4. He works in the morning, sleeps in the afternoon, and
studies in the evening.
B. Use ON with days of the week and with complete dates.
We go to church on Sunday.
2. I go to school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
3. He was born on May 25, 1970.
4. They were married on June 15th.
C. Use AT for specific times of the day, with hours and minutes.
1. He starts work at 8:00.
2. They eat lunch at noon.
3. She got home at midnight.
Special expression: at night. He works at night.
WHEN DID THEY ARRIVE?
1._____ Monday 6._____ 1975 11._____December
2. _____noon 7._____ July 1st 12._____ the winter
3. _____the evening 8._____ January 13._____ January 10th
4. _____night 9._____ 10 o'clock 14. _____ Saturday
10._____ May 5th
15. ______the afternoon.
Fill in the blank with the correct preposition -- IN, ON, AT.
1. He was born ___April.
2. He was born _____April 1, 1965.
3. I like to study the morning and watch TV ___night.
4. The leaves change color ____the fall.
5. Flowers are beautiful ____ the spring.
6. I always go shopping____ Friday.
7. We start our class ____noon.
8. Thanksgiving is ___ November.
9. Christmas is _____December 25th.
10. The class usually has a break ____ 9:30.
II. ADDRESSES AND RESIDENCES
A. Use IN with the names of cities, states,
countries, and large areas.
1. We live in Miami.
2. The weather is warm in Florida.
3. English is spoken in the United States.
4. France is in Europe.
5. California is in the West.
B. Use ON with the names of streets and avenues.
1. The school is on Twentv-Second Avenue.
2. There are many palm trees on Biscayne Boulevard.
3. There are many shops on Flagler Street.
C.Use AT with complete numbers and
1. The Main Library is located at 101 West Flagler Street.
2. She lives at 9412 S.W. 12th Street.
Practice IN, ON, AT with addresses and residences.
WHERE DO THEY LIVE?
1. _____ Mexico 6. _______Europe 11. ________S. America
2.______California 7. _______the North 12. ________New York
3.______ Biscayne Blvd. 8._______
the East 13.________
4.______ 212 Bird Rd. 9._______55 2nd Ave. 14.________ S.W. 3rd St.
5.______ Flagler St. 10. ______SW 8th St. 15. _______Denver
Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition -- IN, ON, AT.
1. New York is located ____the North.
2. They live ____Fifth Avenue.
3. He lives ____211 Fifth Avenue.
4. The museum is _____Washington, D.C.
5. Switzerland is located ____ Europe
6. There is a lot of oil ____Alaska.
III PLACE AND LOCATION
A Use IN in situations which mean inside, within, or interior.
1. The fish are in
2. The children are in the swimming pool.
3. We are in the classroom.
4. The papers are in the desk drawer.
B. Use ON in situations which mean
surface or top.
1. The clock is on the wall.
2. The books are on the desk.
3. The lights are on the ceiling.
4. The cafeteria is on the first floor.
C. Use AT with specific places or points
(away from the speaker).
1. The children are not at school today. They are at home.
2. Sharon's husband is at work.
3. He is studying engineering at the university.
4. They're at the beach because it's a beautiful day.
Also: Use AT with other places: church
the post office
the office the hotel
the store the restaurant
D. Special Problems and Special Situations:
The children are in the house.
The children are at home.
2. The patient is in the hospital.
The patient is at the hospital.
3. Dinner is on the table.
The family is sitting at the table.
4.She's in bed.
She's on the bed.
5. She's sitting in the chair.
She's sitting on the sofa.
6. We travel on a bus or on a plane.
We ride in a car or in a taxi.
7.The bus stop is on the corner.
The chair is in the corner.
Practice IN, ON, AT with expressions of location and place.
WHERE ARE THEY?
1. ____school, studying English.
2. ____the beach, swimming
4. ____the classroom
5. ____the corner, waiting for the bus
6. ____the sidewalk
7. ____the table, eating dinner
8. ____the tenth floor
11. ____the water
12. ____the car
13. ____the bus
14._____ the house
15._____ the store, shopping
16._____ the first floor
17. _____a hotel in Mexico
18. _____ the post office, buying stamps
19. _____Florida International University
20 ______the United States
Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition -- IN, ON,
1. She teaches English ___the University of Miami.
2. I am afraid to travel ___ a plane.
3. The students are ___ the library doing research on Florida.
4. If you open the desk, you will find the paper ___the drawer.
5. She's very sick. She has been ___the hospital for a week.
6. I don't like to sit ___this chair because it's not comfortable.
7. The magazines are___ the shelf over there.
8. Mary is ___ home, the children are ____school, and her husband is ___ work.
REVIEW: IN - ON - AT
A child usually has a party ____his birthday. Older people sometimes have parties ___their anniversaries. Some birthday parties are held ____the afternoon. Others are held ____ night. My birthday is ____ March, I was born ____March 10th and my brother was born ____August 31st.
Dr. Smith is going to attend a meeting ___ New York ____June 19th. The meeting will take place ___the Hilton Hotel ____666 Fifth Avenue ___June 23rd. It will start 9:30 A.M. Dr. Smith's plane will arrive ____Kennedy Airport ___midnight ____ June 22nd. He will spend the night with his friend, Dr. Brown, who lives ____Park Avenue. Dr. Smith visited him there once before ____the summer of 1985.
Bill had a toothache ____August 6th. He left his house ___8:15 A.M. ___the next day and arrived ____the dentist's office ____ 8:45. His next visit to the dentist will be ____November. He will go there again ____the fifth of November ___the morning. Bill's first visit to the dentist was ____1987. According to the dentist's records, he was there ___ February 10, 1987, ____four o'clock ____the afternoon.
The worst accident that I've ever seen ___our town happened ____October 15, 1984. A truck hit a bus ___ Main Street ____five o'clock ____the afternoon. I saw the whole thing because I was sitting ____my uncle's car near his store ____455 Main Street ___that time. Our town had only one small hospital ____1984. Fortunately, there is a big new hospital _____Jefferson Avenue now.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson and their children live____ 234 N.E. 163rd Street ____North Miami. Their house is ___a very nice neighborhood. They used to live ___Georgia, but they moved to Miami ___1976. Mr. Wilson works ____the First National Bank and usually goes to work ____the bus, but sometimes he goes ____his car. The children usually go to school ___the bus. His wife stays ___ home because she doesn't work.
The Wilsons have a very nice two-story house. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are ___the first floor, and the bedrooms and bathrooms are ____the second floor. The family usually spends a lot of time ____ home, but once in a while they go out to eat ___ a restaurant. Right now, the family is eating dinner ___ the table ___the dining room. The children are talking about a trip they would like to take ____the summer. They have never been ____a plane and would like to travel to Arizona. Perhaps they will go there ___August.
After dinner, Mr. Wilson sits ____his favorite chair and reads some
articles___ the newspaper. His wife sits ____the sofa and does some
sewing. The children do their homework ___their bedrooms. The Wilson family
usually goes to bed early. Everybody is ___bed ____10:00 because they have
to get up early ____the morning.