A. Use IN with months, years, seasons, and parts of the day.
We started work in April.
2. She was born in 1960.
3. I always take a vacation in the summer.
4. He works in the morning, sleeps in the afternoon, and
studies in the evening.
B. Use ON with days of the week and with complete dates.
We go to church on Sunday.
2. I go to school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
3. He was born on May 25, 1970.
4. They were married on June 15th.
C. Use AT for specific times of the day, with hours and minutes.
1. He starts work at 8:00.
2. They eat lunch at noon.
3. She got home at midnight.
Special expression: at night. He works at night.
Practice IN, ON, AT with expressions of time.
WHEN DID THEY ARRIVE?
1.__on___ Monday 6.__in___ 1975 11.__in___December
2. __at___noon 7.__on__ July 1st 12.___in__ the winter
3. __in___the evening 8.__in__ January 13.__on___ January 10th
4. _ at__night 9.__at__ 10 o'clock 14. __on___ Saturday
10.__on__ May 5th
15. __in____the afternoon.
Fill in the blank with the correct preposition -- IN, ON, AT.
1. He was born _in__April.
2. He was born __on___April 1, 1965.
3. I like to study the morning and watch TV _at__night.
4. The leaves change color __in__the fall.
5. Flowers are beautiful _ in___ the spring.
6. I always go shopping__on__ Friday.
7. We start our class _at___noon.
8. Thanksgiving is _in__ November.
9. Christmas is __on___December 25th.
10. The class usually has a break _at___ 9:30.
II. ADDRESSES AND RESIDENCES
A. Use IN with the names of cities, states,
countries, and large areas.
1. We live in Miami.
2. The weather is warm in Florida.
3. English is spoken in the United States.
4. France is in Europe.
5. California is in the West.
B. Use ON with the names of streets
1. The school is on Twentv-Second Avenue.
2. There are many palm trees on Biscayne Boulevard.
3. There are many shops on Flagler Street.
C.Use AT with complete numbers and
1. The Main Library is located at 101 West Flagler Street.
2. She lives at 9412 S.W. 12th Street.
Practice IN, ON, AT with addresses and residences.
WHERE DO THEY LIVE?
1. __in___ Mexico 6. ___in____Europe 11. ___in_____S. America
2.__in____California 7. ___in____the North 12. ___in_____New York
3.__at____ Biscayne Blvd.
8.___in____ the East
13.___in_____ the South
4.__in____ 212 Bird Rd. 9.___at____55 2nd Ave. 14.___on_____ S.W. 3rd St.
5._ on____ Flagler St. 10. __on____SW 8th St. 15. __in_____Denver
Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition -- IN, ON, AT.
1. New York is located __in__the North.
2. They live _on___Fifth Avenue.
3. He lives _at___211 Fifth Avenue.
4. The museum is __in___Washington, D.C.
5. Switzerland is located _in___ Europe
6. There is a lot of oil _in___Alaska.
III PLACE AND LOCATION
A Use IN in situations which mean inside, within, or interior.
1. The fish are in the
2. The children are in the swimming pool.
3. We are in the classroom.
4. The papers are in the desk drawer.
B. Use ON in situations which mean
surface or top.
1. The clock is on the wall.
2. The books are on the desk.
3. The lights are on the ceiling.
4. The cafeteria is on the first floor.
C. Use AT with specific places or points
(away from the speaker).
1. The children are not at school today. They are at home.
2. Sharon's husband is at work.
3. He is studying engineering at the university.
4. They're at the beach because it's a beautiful day.
Also: Use AT with other places: church
the post office
the office the hotel
the store the restaurant
D. Special Problems and Special Situations:
The children are in the house.
The children are at home.
2. The patient is in the hospital.
The patient is at the hospital.
3. Dinner is on the table.
The family is sitting at the table.
4.She's in bed.
She's on the bed.
5. She's sitting in the chair.
She's sitting on the sofa.
6. We travel on a bus or on a plane.
We ride in a car or in a taxi.
7.The bus stop is on the corner.
The chair is in the corner.
Practice IN, ON, AT with expressions of location and place.
WHERE ARE THEY?
1. _at___school, studying English.
2. _at___the beach, swimming
4. _in___the classroom
5. _on___the corner, waiting for the bus
6. _on___the sidewalk
7. _at___the table, eating dinner
8. _on___the tenth floor
11. _in___the water
12. _in___the car
13. _in___the bus
14._ in____ the house
15._at____ the store, shopping
16._on___ the first floor
17. _in____a hotel in Mexico
18. _at____ the post office, buying stamps
19. _at____Florida International University
20 __in____the United States
Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition -- IN, ON,
1. She teaches English _at__the University of Miami.
2. I am afraid to travel _on__ a plane.
3. The students are _at__ the library doing research on Florida.
4. If you open the desk, you will find the paper _in__the drawer.
5. She's very sick. She has been _in__the hospital for a week.
6. I don't like to sit _in__this chair because it's not comfortable.
7. The magazines are_on__ the shelf over there.
8. Mary is _at__ home, the children are _at___school, and her husband is _at__ work.
REVIEW: IN - ON - AT
A child usually has a party __on__his birthday. Older people sometimes have parties _on__their anniversaries. Some birthday parties are held _in___the afternoon. Others are held __at__ night. My birthday is _in___ March, I was born _on___March 10th and my brother was born __on__August 31st.
Dr. Smith is going to attend a meeting _in__ New York __on__June 19th. The meeting will take place _at__the Hilton Hotel _at___666 Fifth Avenue _on__June 23rd. It will start 9:30 A.M. Dr. Smith's plane will arrive __at__Kennedy Airport _at__midnight __on__ June 22nd. He will spend the night with his friend, Dr. Brown, who lives _on___Park Avenue. Dr. Smith visited him there once before __in__the summer of 1985.
Bill had a toothache __on__August 6th. He left his house _at__8:15 A.M. _on__the next day and arrived _at___the dentist's office __at__ 8:45. His next visit to the dentist will be _in___November. He will go there again _on___the fifth of November _in__the morning. Bill's first visit to the dentist was _in___1987. According to the dentist's records, he was there _on__ February 10, 1987, _at___four o'clock _in___the afternoon.
The worst accident that I've ever seen _in__our town happened _on___October 15, 1984. A truck hit a bus _on__ Main Street _at___five o'clock _in___the afternoon. I saw the whole thing because I was sitting _in___my uncle's car near his store _at___455 Main Street _at__that time. Our town had only one small hospital __in__1984. Fortunately, there is a big new hospital __on___Jefferson Avenue now.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson and their children live__at__ 234 N.E. 163rd Street __in__North Miami. Their house is _in__a very nice neighborhood. They used to live _in__Georgia, but they moved to Miami _in__1976. Mr. Wilson works _at___the First National Bank and usually goes to work _on___the bus, but sometimes he goes _in___his car. The children usually go to school _on__the bus. His wife stays _at__ home because she doesn't work.
The Wilsons have a very nice two-story house. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are _on__the first floor, and the bedrooms and bathrooms are _on___the second floor. The family usually spends a lot of time __at__ home, but once in a while they go out to eat _in__ a restaurant. Right now, the family is eating dinner _at__ the table _in__the dining room. The children are talking about a trip they would like to take _in___the summer. They have never been __on__a plane and would like to travel to Arizona. Perhaps they will go there _in__August.
After dinner, Mr. Wilson sits __in__his favorite chair and reads some
articles_in__ the newspaper. His wife sits _on___the sofa and does
some sewing. The children do their homework _in__their bedrooms. The Wilson
family usually goes to bed early. Everybody is _in__bed __at__10:00 because
they have to get up early __in__the morning.