GEORGE C. LEPOSKY
2311 South Bayshore Drive
Miami FL 33133-4728
Phone: +1 (305) 285-2200
CELL: +1 (305) 807-7009
Creative, precise, and highly organized travel, technical, and business writer/editor with broad expertise in magazine, newspaper, and online journalism; marketing communications; and public relations. Equally adept in staff, consulting, and freelance roles. Recognized for insightful approach to complex topics and issues, effective interviewing skills, presentation of complex technical material for lay and/or peer audiences, production of clean copy, and adherence to deadlines and length requirements.
MAGAZINE AND ONLINE CONTENT EXPERIENCE: 1965 - present
TIMESHARING TODAY, INC., Tenafly, New Jersey
Publisher of media for the vacation-ownership industry.
· TimeSharing Today, a bimonthly magazine (2013-present).
· Timeshare Resort Management Newswire, a monthly email newsletter (2004-present).
EXAMINER.COM 2008 - 2016
An online news features service.
Miami Travel Examiner
Coverage of travel, arts, culture, and the environment in Miami and south Florida.
INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL, South Miami, Florida 1985 - 2001
A global vacation-exchange and leisure-services company.
Editor (1991-2001) and Managing Editor (1985-1991) of Vacation Industry Review
Director of Communications (1991-1999)
Determined editorial content, wrote and edited, managed freelance writers, and supervised design and production for trade magazine covering timeshare and vacation ownership. Also managed and executed communications and publications projects for company offices, member resorts, consumers, and media around the world; and wrote speeches for corporate executives.
· Supervised production of foreign-language editions, and managed translation of articles into French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish, increasing company’s global market penetration.
· Traveled extensively in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, and southeast Asia to research, write, and publish articles successfully promoting resort development in those markets.
· Managed communications aspects of company’s recovery from Hurricane Andrew in 1992, eliciting understanding from member resorts and consumer clients, and attracting material assistance from sympathetic colleagues in the industry.
NEWSPAPER AND WIRE SERVICE EXPERIENCE: 1964 - 1969
· Science and Environment Writer for Chicago Today and its predecessor, Chicago's American.
· Reporter for City News Bureau of Chicago, a local wire service.
FREELANCE WRITER AND PHOTOGRAPHER: 1965 - present
· Writing for newspapers, consumer magazines, and trade journals (see addendum for a list) on a wide variety of topics, often illustrating articles with my own photography.
· Current fields of specialization include community associations, hospitality (especially timeshare and vacation ownership), and travel.
TECHNICAL WRITING, MARKETING, ADVERTISING COPYWRITING: 1969 - present
AMERIJET INTERNATIONAL, INC., Miami, Florida January - April 2008
A provider of multi-modal (land, sea, and air) cargo-transportation services.
Consultant, assigned by Computer Express, Intl., Plantation, Florida (a contract staffing firm).
Wrote content for Amerijet’s new interactive Web site, which provides sophisticated account-management and shipment-tracking features.
AMERICAN WELDING SOCIETY, Miami, Florida 2003 - 2006
The premier worldwide professional/technical society in welding and allied processes.
NILES AUDIO CORPORATION, Miami, Florida 2002 - 2003
A manufacturer of audio equipment for custom-installed home-entertainment systems.
Wrote and edited technical documents, advertising and marketing materials, news releases, specification sheets, and Web content that enhanced sales and the company’s image.
· Enabled technicians to install and set up operation of a sophisticated multizone audio-video receiver by writing a book-length instruction manual.
· Wrote detailed RoboHelp-based text, guiding installers efficiently through a complex amplifier installation.
· Created and maintained style manual that standardized corporate documents, reducing confusion and enhancing the company’s internal and external communications.
· Conducted in-house training classes in technical and business writing in which engineers and information-technology staff improved their writing skills.
· Introduced the company’s newest models and communicated current pricing by editing Quark files that contained text of trade show exhibit panels.
MERCY HOSPITAL, Miami, Florida. 1976 - 1978
Director of Public Relations
MOUNT SINAI MEDICAL CENTER, Miami Beach, Florida 1975 - 1976
DALE O'BRIEN & COMPANY, Chicago, Illinois. 1969 - 1971
Public Relations Account Executive
Independent technical writer and editor, public relations and marketing-communications consultant, and advertising and collateral copywriter.
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
· Editor and co-owner of Ampersand Communications, a news features syndicate.
· Adjunct instructor teaching business and writing courses at several Miami-area colleges and universities.
· B.A. and M.A. in Political Science from Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.
· Fellow, Advanced Science Writing Program, Graduate School of Journalism, Columbia University, New York.
· Completed American Management Association’s "Supervisory Management Course" on in-service basis at Mercy Hospital, Miami, Florida.
George Leposky's publications list.
Back to Top